Saturday 9 November 2013

Onomatopoeia in Poetry


On Wednesday, Middle S explored the literary concept of Onomatopoeia.
The dictionary defines Onomatopoeia as:
noun
the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle).
We watched a video with some very catchy music that not only helped us to remember how to pronounce this long word with many syllables, but also gave us lots of ideas to generate our own onomatopoetic words.

We brainstormed many words as a class

Then, we created our own poems demonstrating Onomatopoeia. What images and sounds do these words evoke as you read them?

Lights flash in the distance
Sweat trickles down my face
I can feel the ice-cold water dripping on me from above
I hear a shrilled call in the distance
The fire crackles and sparks
The water from the hose gushes
I can hear loud sirens zipping
I try to stand, but wearily fall
-       By Madeline

A ball goes flying in the air, Zoom!
Straight into the back of the net, Bang, Crash!
A loud roar comes from the crowd
“GOAL!” yells the referee.
-       By Will

Fishes go blub, blub
At night the fish goes to sleep
In the water weeds
And you can hear them rustling
By Brandon C

Pitter, patter goes their feet
Ding dong, ding dong, there’s the bell
Whisper, that is all the children say
-       By Jasmine

Whoosh, whish, cars drive past
Rain plops as I run away
Rustle, rustle, I am scared
What’s that sound?
-       By Ruby

Lights flash in the distance
Chugga chugga goes the train
Leaves rustle on the street
Plop goes the rain drops
Ducks go ‘quack’, as I zip up my jacket
Honk! Go the cars as they go past and splash me
-       By Mia

2 comments:

  1. Loved watching the Utube video and then reading your whishy, flashy poems! As I was typing I heard someone say the 'vroom vroom' of the cars going by on the TV. Keep up the great work.
    Mrs Bellesini :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Middles...onomatopoeia...one of my FAVOURITE things! I just love your clever examples.

    Mrs Yore

    ReplyDelete

Our Term 3 Learning about Australian History

Name Reflection on the learning of history this term and our presentations today Tara This morning in Middle S ...